How to Exercise Your Rights during an Income Tax Raid
Are you aware of your legal rights in the event of an income tax raid? Well, this article will acquaint you with those rights.
Firstly, check the search warrant for its date and authorization. You must also check that it is properly addressed. Inquire about the identification of the raiding team members. If any member fails to prove his/her identification, you have the right to not let him/her enter your premises. Do not be rude or angry but make your statement clear, logical and polite.
Legal Rights during an Income Tax Raid
Here are some more tips about your legal rights:
- Ask for seized items of jewelry to be retained at your premises and not be taken away.
- Keep jewelry up to a specified limit i.e. 500 grams per married lady. This jewelry cannot be seized.
- Do not let the raiding team seize any valuables if the warrant is for a survey and not for a search. However, the raiding team may take away files and documents.
- Have a proper list and description of the seized valuables. You also have the right to have two witnesses to the same. Witnesses could be your neighbors.
- Stay firm about personal dignity in case of body searches. Ask for female officials in case body search needs to be conducted on female members of the family.
- Ask for time to frame your answer if you are unsure about something.
- Complain to the senior tax officials if you are met with intimidating or undignified behavior.
The most important thing is to be calm and organized when tackling an income tax raid.